Some SEO features you may want to include in your Drupal website. Here are a few notes I took after conducting an SEO review on one of my websites.
A title tag is the main text that describes an online document. Title elements have long been considered one of the most important on-page SEO elements (the most important being overall content), and appear in three key places: browsers, search engine results pages, and external websites.
Here are my personal preferences for Configuration > Site information:
- Site name: Project Name | ASU
The page title will the render as [Page Title] | Project Name | ASU.
Metatag Description and Keywords
While most search engines now ignore the metatag keywords but the page description is still very important. I add a teaser field to a node which I use to generate this content. Install the Metatag module.
- Install the Metatag module with the follow submodules enabled: Metatag, Metatag verification (see below)
- Click configuration on Metatag.
- Global > Content select the Override link.
- Set the Description field to your custom field in my case it is [node:field_news_teaser].
- Site Ownership Verification
- Enable the module Metatag verification (part of the Metatag package)
- Follow the HOWTO links available on the documentation: https://www.drupal.org/node/1774342
The XML sitemap module creates a sitemap that conforms to the sitemaps.org specification. This helps search engines to more intelligently crawl a website and keep their results up to date. The sitemap created by the module can be automatically submitted to Ask, Google, Bing (formerly Windows Live Search), and Yahoo! search engines.
- Enable the following modules included in the package: XML sitemap, XML sitemap custom, XML sitemap engines, XML sitemap menu, XML sitemap node
- Update your content types to rank the priority of each: Structure > Content Types > Click Edit on your content type you want to be included in the site map.
- On the bottom configuration tabs you will click XML sitemap. Use the following settings
- Inclusion: Included
This indicates that this content type will be included in the site map.
- Default priority: 0.5 normal
The priority is the importance value of your content. Basic pages I leave at the default 0.5 normal setting. News I rank at that same value. On one website I rank Research Centers at 0.8 because this content type is the most important for the website. The default setting for the home page is 1.0 which is the highest importance.
- Inclusion: Included
- Configuration Settings: Go to Configuration > Search and Metadata Section > XML sitemap and review the settings. If everything looks good you can click Rebuild Links and run that to get your initial sitemap built.
- Click the Search Engines tab and click the Bing and Google checkboxes and save the submission settings.